The Chicago Fire took 3 points in dramatic fashion at Soldier Field and made MLS history in doing so

Usually, it’s the Fire that are on the wrong side of dramatic comebacks, but Saturday night, it was the “Men in Red” that ended victorious after going down two goals on two different occasions. Only twelve minutes in, it seemed unlikely that the Fire could even earn a tie, being that they were already down 2-0 due to two penalties slotted in by Matias Coccaro. It would’ve been a nightmare start to the season, bottom of the barrel in the Eastern Conference with one point earned in four games. Thankfully, the Fire had other plans. They scored a season-high four goals, capped off by an insane Kellyn Acosta goal (Watch) carried by the wind to complete a remarkable comeback.

Chicago Fire complete comeback, defeat CF Montréal 4-3 - On Tap Sports Net

How It Happened

As previously mentioned, the game started off on a horrendous note, as Montreal took advantage of two penalties to go up 2-0 in under fifteen minutes into the game. The Fire didn’t give up easily, though. They did a good job of maintaining most of the game’s possession, and it paid off at the end of the first half when Maren Haille-Selassie finished off a great ball by Czichos to go into the second half with some momentum.

The second half was one to remember; from start to finish, there were several chances and drama from both teams. It was the Canadian visitors who struck first, though, thanks to a Dominik Yankov goal in the 70th minute, and just like that, it seemed like the momentum was lost. But just like how the Fire reacted to the 2-0 deficit, they weren’t planning on backing down. They endlessly attacked the Montreal goal until they caught their break – an awarded penalty that was calmly scored by Brian Gutierrez, and Montreal’s Raheem Edwards was shown a red card.

Acosta sends Chicago Fire FC to late 4-3 victory over CF Montreal

So it was 3-2, Montreal playing with one less man, stoppage time of nine added minutes, and all momentum for the Fire. The chances for a 3-3 tie weren’t looking too bad, and that’s what happened when, FINALLY, star signing Hugo Cuypers got his long-awaited first goal in a Fire uniform in the 95th minute. With only 4 minutes left in stoppage time, the Fire still weren’t done! Kellyn Acosta finished the job in an unlikely way in the 99th minute, scoring from the Fire’s own half in what seemed like a huge lobbed ball at first that turned into a goal that sailed over the goalkeeper’s head, carried by the wind (Thanks Chicago).

History Made

The crazy win not only earned the team three points but also a stamp in the history books, as the comeback was the first time ever in Major League Soccer history that a team went on to win a match after being down multiple goals in the 84th minute or later. This seems like a record that would be broken AGAINST the fire, so for the record to be in favor just makes it that much sweeter.

Next Game

Vs. New England Revolution

March 23rd

1:00 PM Central

Gillette Stadium

Photo: —

Comments are closed.

Check Also

Shaqiri’s Time With The Chicago Fire Coming to an End

When it was announced that Xherdan Shaqiri would be the Fire’s newest DP in February…